Vegan, Gluten-Free Chocolate Pudding Pie
We love a dessert like this that can be served for a special occasion or a simple dinner at home.
- 1/3 cup sugar (We use Sunfoods coconut palm sugar)
- 2 cups milk (can use dairy-free milk like almond or full fat coconut milk)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 Tablespoons Ancestral Taro Powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or vanilla powder from Sunfoods
* Triple this recipe (except still use 2 cups of milk) if making a 9″ pie
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a saucepan.
* unsweetened cacao powder, Ancestral Taro Powder, coconut palm sugar and vanilla powder
2. Turn the heat to medium and whisk in the milk.
3. Stir to combine the simmering liquid for about 2 minutes. It will slightly bubble around the edges.
4. Remove from heat and let cool. The mixture will be pourable and thicken as it cools.
5. Pour into small individual pies or *triple recipe (see note above) for a pie shell similar to photo. Place a plastic wrap or wax paper over the top to avoid a skin on top.
6. Place in the refrigerator to cool and set until ready to serve about 3 hours.
7. Add soy and dairy free whipped cream for a tasty topping!
8. Serve in martini glasses or demi cups for an egg-free custard- pudding pie.
To make different flavors and add toppings:
Chocolate version: add 2 Tablespoons of chopped chocolate to the cooled pudding.
Coconut: add one cup shredded coconut after it is cooked then move into the refrigerator to cool.
Pineapple: add one cup fresh pineapple chopped and drained. Make sure to squeeze out some of the juice as the acid will not allow the mix to set.