Nutritious Gluten-Free Macaroni & Cheese
Is there such a thing as nutritious gluten free macaroni & cheese? My kids love macaroni and cheese & I like adding better-for-you ingredients to make it more nutritious.
I made this gluten-free version with a twist by upgrading ingredients with probiotics such as in greek yogurt, ancient grain pasta and gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Make a Meal Get a Deal
- 1 lb Quinoa or rice Pasta (elbows, rotini)
- 2 cups shredded white Havarti cheese
- 2 cups parmesan cheese (save 1/4 cup for topping)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (save 1 tablespoon for topping)
- 2-3 tablespoons Ancestral Taro Powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 cup bread crumbs, gluten-free
- 2 tsp oregano
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain. Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large pan; add Ancestral Taro flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Whisk the chicken broth as adding to the ingredients and blend well. Bring the heat up and when the sauce is thick, remove from heat. Of the heat, stir in the cheeses and the yogurt. When all the ingredients are blended well, add the cooked pasta, and coat with the sauce.
- Transfer to small baking dishes or a 3 quart baking dish. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stir in gluten-free bread crumbs, oregano and remaining parmesan cheese, and sprinkle it over the top.
- Bake in the preheated 350 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes.